By: Isha “Ice” Cole
So far the aftermath of NFL’s Week 3 has been relatively good. Although not as fun filled as the last with DWI charges, flying helmets and such, there’s never a dull moment in this testosterone-driven league. Still, there’s always something a little controversial going on, so UrbLife.com brings you another round of our Top 7 Disappointments in the NFL as we head into Week 4!
1. Green Bay Packers safety Nick Collins got into a heated argument with a fan during Monday night’s game with the Chicago Bears, throwing his mouth guard into the crowd after the unruly fan reportedly spit on him and used a racial slur. The situation is under investigation by the NFL. Collins did apologize, acknowledging his mistake, but are you still disappointed in him?
2. Chad Ochocinco’s cereal box included the digits to hot sex-line! The wide receiver from the Cincinnati Bengals cereal was supposed to display the phone number to Feed the Children, the organization that benefits from the sales. Major FAIL, but props to Ochocinco for trying to make a difference! And it’s still pretty funny, just so long as your kids didn’t call…
3. Steve Smith, star wide receiver of the Carolina Panthers was caught yelling at rookie quarterback Jimmy Clausen during the Panthers’ match up with the Cincinnati Bengals. Smith claims the situation was blown up by the media, but in the heat of the moment he was so angry that he had to be pulled away.
4. Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant got stuck with a $55,000 tab at a rookie initiation dinner after his teammates ran up the bill eating and drinking everything – even taking bottles to go! After snubbing Cowboys vet Roy Williams by refusing to carry his shoulder pads (as a part of rookie hazing), Bryant had to pay for the entire team to dine at a swanky steakhouse.
Luckily the million dollar Cowboy has enough money to blow fast. Still, do you think this is a fair way to haze a player, or a smart way to blow money? Shouldn’t they be focusing on the game a bit more?
5. The National Football League is behind on hiring women. The annual report done by The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida showed that the NFL earned a ‘C’ for gender hiring. Even though the NFL’s numbers for racial diversity in employment are up (earning them an ‘A’ in that category), the percentage of women in management, professional administration, and senior administration positions all decreased slightly.
6. The mighty New York Giants fell to 1-2 after a week three with a 29-10 loss to the Tennessee Titans. During the game they had 11 penalties including six personal fouls, as well as three turnovers. Great job! Up next for the struggling G-Men are the Chicago Bears on Sunday… hopefully the they’ll show up to play!
7. Sorry New York Jets fans, cornerback Darrelle Revis is out with a hamstring injury and will not being playing against the Buffalo Bills this weekend. Revis’ injured his hamstring against the New England Patriots on September 19 during the second quarter of the Jets’ win. Coach Rex Ryan is being patient, and would rather have Revis heal completely to get him back up to speed.
What was your biggest NFL disappointment from the past week? What are you looking forward to in the games tomorrow? Vote, and let us know your thoughts!!